Great Shelford seal
Great Shelford seal – and Royal link to the village
A photo of a seal from Great Shelford in the 13th century has just been published.
The seal is now owned by St John’s College in Cambridge. It shows a knight on horseback. It is attached to a grant for 2 acres of land in Grantchester by John le Moyne of Great Shelford to the Hospital of St John “for the safety of his soul and of those of his ancestors and successors”. [13th century]
See more at: www.joh.cam.ac.uk/st-johns-top-5-early-seals
John Le Moyne was sheriff of Cambridgeshire 1253–5. The family was given land in Great Shelford by the king for being a goldsmith and possibly making or repairing a royal crown.
The Le Moyne family was believed to have lived on a manor house at what is now De Freville Farm north-west of High Green.
Read more at:
Photo courtesy St John's College