See old photos of Great Shelford here
See old maps of Great Shelford here
Great Shelford people
Great Shelford family trees
Great Shelford seal
Links to historical resources about Great Shelford
Helen Harwood's dedicated Great Shelford history website
History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 8 (1982)
Genuki guide to Great Shelford’s history
Listed buildings in Great Shelford
Pastscape guide to historical buildings in Great Shelford
Images of England – photos of old buildings in Great Shelford
Archaeological information from the University of Cambridge
Genealogy resources and Parish Registers
Geneanet Great Shelford family history links
Family Search genealogy website
Thomas Blossom and Barack Obama in the Daily Telegraph
Maris family history
Francis Frith postcard collection
Links to other Great Shelford pages
Great Shelford timeline
200 AD The earliest settlement in the parish was probably on the north bank of the river almost 2 km west of the modern village by this date. There are remains from the Neolithic Period as well as evidence of a Roman settlement.
1029 The Manor of Great Shelford was given to Ely Abbey by the parents of Leofsige, when he became a monk there.
1086 There were 38 tenants were recorded in Great Shelford.
1251 The water mill was recorded to be operating by this date.
1321 Manor House recorded in Great Shelford.
1387 St Mary the Virgin Church built.
1798 A storm brought down half of the 80-ft.tower of St Mary’s Church. By 1808 the tower had been rebuilt.
1845 A school was built near the junction of High and Church Streets and Woollards Lane.
1845 The Great Eastern London (Liverpool Street) to Cambridge line, with a station at Great Shelford, opened.
1856 The Baptist chapel was built at a cost of £1,000.
1860s The parish was the second most densely populated in the county.
1870 A new, larger school was built – the forerunner of the existing village school.
1933 Shelford Rugby Club founded
1958 A new hall, built as a war memorial, was opened on Woollards Lane.
1963/ 65 Early versions of Pink Floyd play two concerts in Great Shelford
2014 Le Tour de France visits Great Shelford
From: 'Parishes: Great Shelford', A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 8 (1982), pp. 207-219. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66756