PLEASE IGNORE IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN GREAT SHELFORD, LITTLE SHELFORD, STAPLEFORD, TRUMPINGTON, SAWSTON, PAMPISFORD, HARSTON, HAUXTON, NEWTON, DUXFORD, WHITTLESFORD, HINXTON
Most of you will be aware that the standard of the broadband services available in the South Cambridgeshire villages has been appalling (unless you had access to Virgin cable). BT Openreach has received a large amount of government funding (our money) to provide 'super fast' broadband (via fibre) to households and businesses which didn't have access to Virgin. This has now been made available to most of the villages, with completion due by end 2015. Where it has worked it has been good. However:
- BT Openreach appears not to have made fibre available to a significant number of properties not served by Virgin.
- They have also made it available to properties already served by Virgin, which is outside their remit and you may view as being anti-competitive, given it has been done with government funding.
I'm not trying to address the second issue. What I do want to do is to quantify the extent of the first issue to see whether we can do anything to help people who have been missed by the BT Openreach programme. I would really appreciate it if you could spend five minutes answering the questions below. Please also circulate this to friends and neighbours as appropriate.
- Please let me have your address, including postcode and 'phone number.
- Which ISP do you currently use (Virgin, BT, Talk Talk, Plus Net, Sky, etc.).
- If the answer to 2 wasn't Virgin, do you have conventional broadband or fibre?
- Please go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and click 'Begin Test'. If you get any problems with Flash Player, etc., please go to http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ click on 'Start Speed Test' instead. Please let me have your download and upload speeds.
Only if you are on Virgin or if you are with one of the other ISPs and don't have fibre:
Please check what BT services are available to you here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/services-checker
- click on 'I don't have a phone line and enter your house number and postcode.
Please let me know whether you can already get BT Infinity and, if not, the projected date when you can.
Only for other ISPs:
Please check whether Virgin broadband is available here http://store.virginmedia.com/index.html
- enter your postcode in the 'what services can I get box.
Please let me know which one you see. If you get the third response and only if you feel like doing a bit more work, please fill in the form and see what Virgin say.